Lamb is a delicacy all over the Middle East and especially in India and Pakistan. Lamb is expensive, so if you are served a dish with lamb, you must remember to thank your host and savor every single bite. Most lamb served is local lamb, but any lamb will do.
- 1 kilo (2.2 pounds) lamb stew meat
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup clarified butter (ghee)
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups of potatoes, diced
- Small handful of chopped coriander
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- Place all the spices in a coffee grinder and grind to a fine powder. Set Aside.
- Place the chopped onion and garlic in a large bowl. Add in the vinegar and the spices and make a paste. Add in the lamb stew meat and cover the meat with the paste.
- Let the meat marinate for at least 4 hours. Heat a large skillet with the ghee and brown the meat and onion mixture.
- Place the meat and the drippings in a 4 to 6 quart casserole or sauce pan. Add in the water and salt and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook the stew for at least one hour.
- Add in the potatoes and cook for an additional 30 minutes. This lamb dish is usually served over rice or with rice on the side. Garnish with the chopped coriander and slivered almonds that have been toasted.